** ABOUT THE DAVID J. POWERS SCHOLARSHIP **
ABOUT THE SCHOLARSHIP
The scholarship was created in memory of David J. Powers. As explained in the document creating the scholarship:
"David I. Powers (1947-2008) graduated from San José State University in 1971 with a B.A. in Biological Sciences (Botany). In 1972, Dave founded David ]. Powers Associates (D]P&A) based on his vision of providing objective and thorough environmental review, excellent client service, and completing "a day‘s work for a day's pay." has served nearly every city in Santa Clara County, many jurisdictions throughout Northern California, and numerous private sector clients as Well. Notable projects in San Jose include the San Jose General Plan, most of San Jose’s redevelopment and specific plans, the San Jose Arena, Santana Row, San Jose International Airport Master Plan, numerous highway and transit projects, and the Guadalupe River Park Master Plan.
"Dave was passionate about sound land use planning and high quality environmental review. His straightforward honesty and personal integrity characterized his environmental documents and business practices. His legacy is the extent to which every project he worked on was better because of his honesty and skill.
"Dave loved the outdoors, natural and man-made. He hiked the Sierras, climbed many of the tallest mountains in the world, including Everest and and visited the cities of Europe and South America. He also participated in cross Country ski races all over the world."
To be eligible, you must be:
- Enrolled full-time in the MUP program
- Have demonstrated a commitment to preserving or improving the environment
- Be eligible for federal financial aid (to find out, see http://www.fafsa.ed.gov/)
By April 30, email to me a SINGLE pdf that includes the following materials:
- A statement of no more than 1/2 page describing past studies, work experience, and/or volunteer experience that demonstrates your commitment to preserving or improving the environment
- A statement that you are eligible for Federal financial aid (note that eligibility will be confirmed before the scholarship is awarded)
- A copy of your current unofficial transcript for the MUP program at SJSU
Contact Professor Asha Weinstein Agrawal at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.